Cefalù is situated on the north coast of Sicily, at the foot of a rocky headland. In the 4th century BC the ancient Greeks founded the polis of Kephaloidion, where the present old city centre now lies. In 254 BC the town was conquered by the Romans who called it Cephaloedium. In 858 the town was conquered by the Arabs and then in 1063 by the Normans. In 1131 King Roger had a cathedral with the characteristics of a fort built. Today Cefalù is a seaside resort, a tourist attraction with its splendid beaches and precious monuments.