Traditional soup: Soupa grasa
Cured meats: Susa Valley prosciuttello, bondiola, bacon, juniper-flavoured lard
Desserts: Susa’s sweet focaccia, Lose Golose, Pan della Marchesa
The vineyards, situated at 800 metres above sea level, produce Valsusa DOC (controlled denomination of origin) wines from historic local grape varieties such as Avanà and Bequet, as well as ice wine.
Herbal liqueur: Genepy
From the Roman Savoy Gate (3rd-4th century) enter the square dominated by the romanesque-gothic Cathedral dedicated to Saint Just (1027) and the mighty 55-meter-high bell tower.
Walking up the Viale dell’Impero Romano reach the Arch of Augustus (8 B.C.) and on top of the hill find the remains of the ancient castrum, the imposing Roman acqueduct and a rock with Celtic carvings (7 B.C.) at its base.
Beside the castrum stands the Castle of Countess Adelaide (11th century), wife of Oddone of Savoy. Today it houses the Civic Museum.
Following a path passing by the Our Lady of Graces Church (18thcentury) arrive at the Roman Amphitheatre (2nd century A.D.) and then Saint Francis Church (13th century). Leaving behind the remains of the ancient walls, walk to Via Palazzo di Città with the Emblems’ House, Saint Charles Church (17th century) and the Town Hall.
Under the arcades, admire a fresco representing the Holy Shroud of Turin, in a courtyard just opposite see the Rotari Tower (4th century)and, further along, De’ Bartolomei’s House (13th century). In the little square, which used to be the herbs market place, find the remains of the Roman Piedmont Gate (the former Haberdasher’s Gate) with the more recent Civic Tower built on top.
In a courtyard along Via Francesco Rolando, admire the Parliament Tower.
At the end of the street, on the left, find the arcades with 14th century paneled ceilings and Santa Maria Maggiore Church (10th century, not open for services). Walk back to Piazza Savoia and, following the river, reach the bridge with the baroque Madonna of the Bridge Church and the Diocesan Sacred Art Museum.